Skip to main content

MY TOP 10 ALL TIME FAVOURITE CLASSICS


As an English Literature student, I've read a lot of classics. But there are some classics that have truly had an impact on me and thus are gifted a spot in my hall of fame. This list of mine is ever changing but I decided to compile a selection of my current all time favourite classics (including modern classics too). Which, I imagine will have changed by next week... Oh, never mind. May I also add that these books are in no particular order, it was hard enough whittling them down to ten let alone having to rank them in order of least and most favourite too. Without further ado, let's begin!

1. The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton

I first read The Outsiders when I was thirteen years old for my English class and instantly fell in love with it. There is nothing more lovable than the Curtis brothers; Ponyboy, Sodapop, and Darry. Although this book is definitely aimed at young teenagers it is a timeless piece of work and one which I have reread many a time. So, don't be put off with the simple language or young characters as it is a text that you will struggle to forget! There is also an incredible film adaptation of this book starring a young Tom Cruise, Rob Lowe, Patrick Swayze, etc. I think I was just as obsessed with the movie as I was the book, so definitely check them both out.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/231804.The_Outsiders

2. Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin

I read this book fairly recently in 2017 for my university course. A heartbreaking read that follows the protagonist, David, as he struggles with his sexuality and relationships. Baldwin tells a timeless and universal tale of love, one that is devastating, haunting and beautiful. A masterpiece that eloquently dismantles the horrors that gay men had to face in the 1950's, a lot of prejudices that unfortunately homosexual men continue to encounter. Aside from the same-sex love storyline, Baldwin also explores themes such as home and social alienation. Once again, I find it hard to say much about such a tragic and exquisite classic. Just trust me on this, you will not regret picking up this book. A bold assumption, I know.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38462.Giovanni_s_Room

3. Beloved by Toni Morrison

This book left me SPEECHLESS. It was electrifying, intense and completely and utterly captivating. I have never read anything like it and don't believe I ever will. This unique piece of art will have you feeling every emotion possible, and will take you on one hell of a ride. Once again, I had to read this for university, and thank goodness because I don't think I ever would have picked this up myself. I actually ended up listening to the audio book of this and it was the best possible decision I could have made. Toni Morrison narrates the audio book on audible herself and it was an incredible narration, I highly recommend it! Her voice is absolutely divine and added a whole new depth to the book.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6149.Beloved

4. The Quarry Wood by Nan Shepherd

This book is set in Aberdeenshire, Scotland and follows Martha as she struggles to choose between staying in her small town or venturing beyond. This book resonated with me on a whole entirely different level, as like Martha, I too am from a small Scottish town and faced the same difficult decision not that long ago. Filled with brilliant Scottish dialect, this book is one of a kind and captures the elegance of youth perfectly. This unique perspective of town life and townspeople will either hit close to home for you or give you an incredible insight into life in a wee rural Scottish town.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3661015-the-quarry-wood

5. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Ah yes, of course, Lee had to make an appearance on this list! Her work is well known and rightfully so, (well let's not talk about the 'sequel' Go Set a Watchman shall we?) This book was actually one of the very first classics that I ever read, and yet it has prevailed over the years and remained on my all-time favourites list. There is not much to say about this book except: read it if you haven't already! Poignant and harrowing, it is a story that you'll carry with you for life.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2657.To_Kill_a_Mockingbird

6. The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner by James Hogg

This book completely surprised me. It was one of the first books I had to read for university, and I expected to find it dull (yup, I judged a book by its cover), although I was pleasantly surprised when I ended up thoroughly enjoying it. Set in Scotland, this book is mysterious and thrilling. The whole entire presentation of the book and the story behind its publication are fascinating. It was presented so that it resembled a real recovered journal of sorts. A truly intriguing read. The scene atop Arthur's Seat will forever be ingrained in my mind.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/87580.The_Private_Memoirs_and_Confessions_of_a_Justified_Sinner

7. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Like To Kill a Mockingbird, this classic is known well among all. I read the 1818 edition, and I am yet to read the 1831 edition but plan to do so eventually. I was sceptical to read this book, as I was worried that the fame of the book had hyped up my expectations too high, however, I was blown away when those elevated expectations were met and exceeded. To think, Shelley was only 18 years old when she began to write this masterpiece is unbelievable. A terrifying and entertaining read, I felt all the wiser after reading it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35031085-frankenstein

8. Quicksand by Nella Larsen

This short story by Larsen focuses on the struggles that a mixed-raced woman faces. Not 'white enough', yet not 'black enough', Helga faces alienation from both the white and black communities. Her struggle to find a place to belong takes her across the world as she desperately seeks a community. An astute telling of what it is to feel alienated from society, this read was heartbreaking. Helga navigates through her life by constantly being someone she is not in an attempt to find happiness, but ultimately she is left unsatisfied. Additionally, it brilliantly executes the notion that society is not always or solely to blame, we can end up sealing our own fates as well.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/208063.Quicksand_and_Passing

9. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

A very insightful and sorrowful read. I read this in one sitting back in 2015 and I can still vividly remember all the emotions I felt after I had finished it. It is a difficult read, in the sense that you are left feeling depleted and somewhat hopeless. It also has an added depth to it when you regard it as more of a biographical novel. After reading Sylvia Plath's unabridged journals it is evident that she has drawn on a lot of her own experiences and used them in her writing. Nonetheless, it is an excellent depiction of depression and Plath does a wonderful job in presenting it in such a poetic and beautiful manner.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6514.The_Bell_Jar

10. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark

Another Scottish novel, set in the heart of Edinburgh, that completely captivated me. A short read, but nonetheless entertaining. It focuses on what it is for one to be in their 'prime' and the unconventional teacher Miss Jean Brodie and her nontraditional teaching. The group of girls she teachers become bonded in a way no other class can imagine as their eccentric teacher decides to educate them on an array of bizarre subjects that she deems fundamental to a young girl's learning. Highly entertaining!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/517188.The_Prime_of_Miss_Jean_Brodie

So, there we have it, my top ten classics! Let me know what you consider to be your favourite classics in the comment section down below.

Until next time,
The Lost Student

Comments

  1. Nice post; only ones I've read from this list are 'To Kill a Mockingbird' and 'The Bell Jar', both of which I love. (Atticus Finch is one of the best characters in fiction imo!) I've heard of James Baldwin; he was gay himself, and a black man living at a time of racial disparity in America, so his novels drew a lot on those themes. A couple classic novels I love are '1984' and 'Lolita.' Really like 'Lord of the flies' also and read half of 'The Catcher in the Rye' and WILL read it all properly one day! (Enjoyed a lot of what I read; Holden's a fascinating character). I read a lot of classical children's lit as a kid; Anne of Green Gables, What Katy Did, Little Women - that sort of stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment